Monday, June 13, 2011

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

The first three chapters of this book were wonderful until my 11yo son read the rest without me. He was so intrigued he couldn't put it down and had to finish it. Needless to say I still have yet to finish.
The story begins on an Island in the South Pacific in which lived the people of Ghalas-at. A young girl named Karana finds herself stranded on the island after the Aleut people killed many of her people and the white people captured the rest. The imagery and storytelling captured us and we felt like we were with her. It is a based on a true story that reveals courage, serenity and greatness of spirit.

My son gives this story two thumbs up.
I recommend this book for ages 10yrs and older.

1 comment:

  1. This was one of my favorite books as a child. I saved the copy I received for my 11th birthday to read to my own kids. I think it spoke to something I needed then, and perhaps all kids need at some point, which is the ability to feel capable without anyone else around to depend on. Now you've made me want to reread it--thank you for including it here. :)

    ReplyDelete